SLIDER

Don't Let Anyone Dim Your Light

Sunday, January 12, 2014

This Girl Lifts is a website and blog dedicated to sharing fitness experiences and uplifting women around us to be positive role models. One of our great ambassadors Valerie shares with you how she feels about positive encouragement when it comes to women around here.

Don't let someone dim your light, simply because it's shining in their eyes. -Anonymous

I've had to tell myself this multiple times since I've moved to Okinawa.  I'm a very positive and uplifting person and always try and take the high road when faced with challenges both personal and professional. With that being said, I have to be honest that the positive space at thisgirllifts.com is so refreshing. Being part of a military family, you move around a lot so with that comes making new friends, acquaintances and connections in order to establish your home front.  I'd be lying if I said every person I've offered my friendship to has accepted it, but that happens.  My advice is don't take it personal.


Two weeks ago I had major abdominal surgery to repair a hernia and my recovery time is very long and another 4 weeks until I am able to even start light cardio ( walking for 20 minutes on the treadmill ).  During my recovery I have been surrounded by my husband and children who have been very supportive.  It'll be another 6 weeks before I'll be able to lift again and that is great, but feels like it's so far away.  For someone who is used to lifting 5 days a week, that is a major downer! With that being said, do you think that 1 of my new friends or acquaintances has stopped by in person to see how I was doing or to lift my spirits?  Not 1.


I'm not trying to have a pity party or anything like that, my point is, don't put your worth in how others treat you or do not treat you.  We as women need to uplift, encourage and support each other in our personal and professional lives.  It's very important.  There is a saying that girls compete with each other, but women support and encourage each other.  I know this is thisgirllifts.com but let's remember to be women and not girls in our fitness and life journey.  Pay it forward with kindness and support, or just a real smile in person!

Don't let anyone dim your light. 


                                          Much love from Okinawa,
                                                            Valerie Jackson

2 comments :

  1. Amen!! I felt that this past year. Its hard mama! Good luck! Love from Lejuene, Liz

    ReplyDelete