SLIDER

For the Love of Fitness: Jessie Emeric

Monday, February 10, 2014

Happy Monday!! I hope everyone's week is getting off to a great start. This week we are still celebrating our for the "Love of Fitness" week. I would love for everyone to meet Jessie from It's a Messy Life.

Inline image 2\
 "Be strong, you never know who you are inspiring."

Jessie Emeric

Where ur from: Las Vegas, NV
Favorite type of workout (yoga, tabata, weightlifting, etc) P.I.T. (Pure Intensity Training) 
Favorite healthy snack: larabars specifically, the coconut cream pie

In February 2012 I was at the heaviest weight I have ever been.  I was tired all the time, had zero energy, and lost all faith that I would ever fit into my old pre-baby jeans.  I knew that I had to do something soon because I wanted to be a good example to our 2 young children on being healthy and active.  So, I made a drastic move and out of desperation I joined the gym.  I'd never joined a gym before.  I was scared, no scratch that, I was petrified to join a gym.  My vision of a gym was a bunch of buff people walking around and laughing at us non-athletic types (read: out of shape types).  It took me some time to find a routine and find what worked for me.  The workout machines were rather intimidating, so I gravitated to the group fitness classes.  I tried out just about all of them, until I found some I liked and could fit into my schedule the best.  I started to see some changes and that kept me motivated to continue to workout and eat better, but what really pushed me further was signing up for Tough Mudder!   When I signed up, I had no idea what I was getting into, and then I saw the videos on YouTube, YIKES!! Talk about being completely out of my comfort zone, this was it!  You've heard of Scared Straight?  Well, I was Scared Fit!  I knew I had to up my game if I was ever going to complete those crazy military style obstacles with names like Electric Eel, Everest, and Artic Enema all throughout a 10-12 mile course of rough terrain and mud!  Tough Mudder changed my life (I'm not even exaggerating)!  Training for the event got me to do workouts I'd never dream I could do.  I'd never heard of a burpee before, let alone attempt to do one!! It got me eating healthier.  I began to care for my body.  It wasn't about trying to get skinny anymore, it was about trying to get strong.  It got my family eating healthier and becoming more active too.  Tough Mudder showed me that I can do whatever I set my mind to do.  It takes a lot of discipline, determination, and some pain, but it's possible.  

Since doing Tough Mudder, I am now hooked on races, not just obstacle course racing.  I completed 6 races in 2013, including my first half marathon!  Now my goal is to complete 14 races in 2014.  I've already signed up for my second half marathon and of course the one that started it all, Tough Mudder!  Signing up for races and events really helps keep me motivated and it gives me something to work towards.  I strongly believe that having a goal is important because it gives us something specific to aim for.  It's something you can visualize and hey, you made a financial commitment and if you're anything like me, then that in itself will make me do it.  Races aren't cheap and I don't  like to throw away money, so if I sign up, you know it's going to happen!  
Another thing that keeps me accountable and motivated is my blog, It's a Messy Life. It's a place where people can come to find motivation for themselves too!  Throughout this journey, I've found so much support from close friends and family and I am so thankful for having such an amazing support group.  If you don't have someone close to you who is supportive, though, please don't give up.  There are so many places you can find support.  I have met some great women by joining local running groups and other online support groups.  It will be scary and uncomfortable at first, but it will be a fun and rewarding journey and hey, you'll have great stories to tell about your first 5K or the time you tried zumba and everyone was shaking their hips to the left and you were going to the right (this may or may not have happened to me!).  It's all about getting yourself out there and making it happen!  

To hear more from Jessie herself, check out the links below. Happy Monday and don't for get to stay motivated.


                                                       So Inspired,
                                                             This Girl Lifts

1 comment :

  1. Keep up the good work! All that training will pay off! Visit my link-up, so others can find you too!

    ReplyDelete